First Years Harry Potter Crochet Scarf – Knotted Mom
This pattern is written in US standard crochet terms.
- Crochet Hook Size J
- Yarn Needle
- 4-ply Worsted Weight Acrylic Yarn (you will use roughly half of an average size skein)
- For Gryffindor
- A = Hobby Lobby’s I Love This Yarn in Cranberry
- B = Hobby Lobby’s I Love This Yarn in Sungold
- For Slytherin
- A = Hobby Lobby’s I Love This Yarn in Forest Green
- B = Hobby Lobby’s I Love This Yarn in Arctic Ice
- For Hufflepuff
- A = Hobby Lobby’s I Love This Yarn in Yellow
- B = Hobby Lobby’s I love this Yarn in Black
- For Ravenclaw
- A = Hobby Lobby’s I Love This Yarn in Nay Blue
- B = Hobby Lobby’s I Love This Yarn in Light Taupe
- Tape Measure
- For Gryffindor
Gauge and Size
While gauge is not extremely necessary for this projects, if you would like to make a swatch 8 rows of 12 hdc = 4×4 inches.
You may choose to begin your rows differently than the instructions. Some people prefer to chain one and make the first hdc into the top of the final stitch from the previous row instead of using a ch 2 to count as the first hdc. This gives you a cleaner edge and can help you keep track of your stitches.
You can also use dc instead of hdc if you would like for your scarf to have a looser draped feel or sc if you would like for your scarf to have a stiffer feel.
You may choose to weave in your ends as you go or leave them all to the end when you finish up your work.
Chain and half double crochet.
Ch = chain, hdc = half double crochet
Foundation Chain and Row 1: With A ch 31, hdc into third ch from hook and each remaining ch, turn. (30 hdc)
Row 2: Ch 2 (counts as first hdc here and throughout), hdc across, turn. (30 hdc)
Repeat Row 2, changing colors after every twelve rows, until your scarf reaches the desired length. After the last stitch, finish off and weave in all your ends.
Tassels: Using six strands of yarn cut in lengths of twelve inches each, attach seven evenly spaced tassels in alternating colors at either end of the scarf.
©2016 Knotted Mom
Downloadable PDF and Ordering Information
If you don’t crochet, but you want one a Harry Potter First Years Scarf you can order one here.
If you want a printer friendly copy or a download to take with you on any device: First Years Harry Potter Crochet Scarf – Knotted Mom